For more about this fascinating book project, click on the image above.
A mother's 40-year struggle to raise an autistic son – and to grow up herself.
William Buffett's richly documented history of his family's Nebraska farm.
A haunting portrait of a marriage against the backdrop of a horrific historical period.
The history of a women's shelter in Birmingham, Alabama, as told through many voices.
William Buffett's short essays on nearly everything, arranged as an alphabet book.
• I continue to work one-on-one with writers, helping them envision, write, and shape their work. Several of these clients have published nonfiction books. Let me know if you're interested in working with me.
• In June 2017, I'll be offering writing workshops at the CAREGIVERS SUMMIT, in Raleigh and Durham. For more information, http://caregiverssummit.org/
• I have completed a 2-year contract with Heartland Hospice, training support services staff all over the country to integrate restorative writing into the hospice environment. I have written a guidebook for Heartland to support and expand the reach of the trainings. The guidebook is up for renewal in January 2018.
• The creative nonfiction group I lead meets monthly. Several members have finished books and are in the midst of publication now. Others are working on essays and linked essay collections.
• I continue to meet monthly with a group of bereaved mothers here in Chapel Hill. (since 2012) Last year we took our first weekend retreat. We're going on our second retreat in August.
• I meet with another group of bereaved moms (from around the state and Virginia) for two retreats a year. (since 2002). This group is the basis for my book, Farther Along: The Writing Journey of Thirteen Bereaved Mothers. Our spring retreat, in the North Carolina Mountains, included a hike along a new trail at Pilot Mountain State Park. We contributed to the effort to plant abundant milkweed along the path to attract migrating butterflies. Butterflies are one of our totem symbols of renewal and hope. For our 15th anniversary of writing together, we're having a retreat in November 2017, to Ghost Ranch, in New Mexico.
• I'm developing new writing programs with hospices in North Carolina and beyond. Look for a new group to start up in Pittsboro, NC, this year.
• I'm working with several writing clients individually on their book and essay projects.
• I'm compiling and editing several of my previously published essays and columns for a new book.
• For book news about Farther Along: The Writing Journey of 13 Bereaved Mothers. Visit us on Facebook under "Farther Along . . ." and go to our blog: http://fartheralongbook.com/
For updates about other workshops and activities in the coming months, be sure to join my mailing list.